Electrical Engineer I or II - Transmission Planning
Central Electric Power Cooperative Inc
Location: Columbia, South Carolina US29210
Position Type: Full Time
Rqd Education: Bachelor's Degree
Rqd Experience: 2 - 5 years
Date Posted: March 29, 2023
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct transmission system planning studies including load flow and short circuit modeling of the transmission system. Determines adequacy of the transmission system and assists supervisor with information to provide recommendation of required system modifications to ensure planning criteria is maintained.
- Develop and maintain transmission system models. Audit transmission system models provided by transmission providers for accuracy.
- Assists with coordination for system transmission and transformer changes between Santee Cooper, Central, and the Member Cooperatives.
- Assist in performing interconnection studies for Central and Member Cooperatives related to small and large generator interconnection request.
- Performs transformer loss evaluations as required. Assists with economic and engineering analysis of transmission alternatives.
- Assists with engineering support for economic development and large industrial loads, including analyzing the historical performance of the system in the area and recommending system changes required to provide reliable service.
- Assist in maintaining the Active Projects List (APL) for tracking project status and energization dates for Central and the Joint Operating Committee (JOC).
- Support the development and incorporation of Member Cooperative’s active and future projects in Central’s Construction Work Plan (CWP).
- Upon request, provides engineering support for Member Cooperatives in the areas of Construction Work Plans, Sectionalizing Studies, and Long-Range Work Plans.
- Assist in revenue metering data collection and validation. Ensure revenue metering data is accurate for billing.
- Assist and provide technical support in installing metering packages as required with Power Suppliers.
- Upon request, provides technical support in selection and installation of metering packages for Member Cooperatives.
- Assist with development and maintenance of Central’s communications network.
- Assist with maintaining transmission and Member delivery point outage data. Provide Outage Indices reports as needed. Provide outage data as requested to Member Cooperatives and other affiliated entities.
- Upon request, provides Member Cooperatives with outage data, source impedances, available fault currents, transmission system available capacity for prospective loads.
- Assist Senior Level Engineers with FERC orders, NERC/SERC Reliability and Compliance Standards, and ensures Central’s compliance with current and developing enforceable standards.
- Assists with engineering services in power supply and delivery matters to Members Cooperatives as required.
- Provides engineering support in the power quality, infrared inspection, and other Central sponsored programs. Upon request provides technical support on the installation and operation of the equipment. Ensures equipment is maintained and calibrated as needed. Develops reports for presentation to Member Cooperatives/industries; identifying problems, makes recommendations and providing sources to Member Cooperatives/industries for solutions. Assists in training Member Cooperative staff on Central sponsored programs and the identification or and implementation of solutions
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organization and project management skills needed.
- Must possess ability to learn and interpret output data from Power System Simulator for Engineering (PSSE), PowerGEM TARA, and CYME Power Engineering Software to make accurate decisions regarding system coordination and relay settings
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Essential to be able to visit job sites and walk through and inspect the various sites
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Graduate degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution is required.
- Fundamental’s in Engineering classification is required. Professional Engineer’s license is preferred.
- 5 or more years prior experience in the electric utility industry is desired.
Central Electric Power Cooperative Inc. is an equal opportunity provider and employer.