Manager of Rates
Long Island Power Authority
Do you want to join a team that values Service, Collaboration and Excellence?
Do you want to work with an organization that is committed to serving its customers and community by providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy to Long Island and the Rockaways?
Is being part of a value-driven organization important to you?
If yes, please check us out!
We are a team of motivated, engaged and exceptionally talented self-starters, willing to roll up our sleeves and do what is necessary to get the job done. If you are interested in joining this dynamic team and have a passion to learn, develop and want your experience to make an immediate impact, please apply.
What We Offer
We offer an environment of continuous development and growth. LIPA offers a thriving company culture, exceptional colleagues, and great benefits. Our benefit package includes:
- Hybrid work and flexible hours
- Medical insurance
- Dental and vision insurance at no cost to employee
- Paid holidays and generous leave time
- Professional development opportunities
- Educational assistance opportunities
- Multiple retirement plan options with company contribution
- Short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending account
- Life Insurance
- 529 College Savings Program
- $300 Wellness Reimbursement
What We Need
- A degree in Business, Engineering, Math, Economics, or Science, required
- A minimum of 4 years of utility rates experience required, more preferred
- Excellent written and communications skills
- A passion for public service and mission-driven work
- Ability to lead cross functional teams, collaborate with staff in other departments and LIPA’s vendors, and exercise influence with or without direct authority
- An advanced degree (MS, MA MBA or equivalent) in Business, Engineering, Math, Economics, or Science preferred
What You’ll Do At LIPA
The Manager of Rates is responsible for fulfilling LIPA’s mission of enabling clean, reliable, and affordable electric service for our customers by preparing rates and tariff proposals and supporting analyses that advance LIPA’s rate policies and other strategic objectives, monitoring LIPA’s sales and revenues and the performance of LIPA’s rates and cost recovery riders and overseeing load research activities.
The Manager of Rates is also responsible for supporting the Director of Rates in developing, justifying, and executing rate policies that incorporate the strategic objectives of LIPA into a cohesive plan for LIPA’s rates, maintaining strong relationships with and balancing the interests of LIPA’s internal and external stakeholders, achieving supportive recommendations from the Department of Public Service and approval by the Board, and participating in industry working groups to advance the interests of LIPA’s customers.
LIPA is committed to transforming its power grid to meet New York’s landmark climate goals and delivering 100% carbon-free electricity by 2040. In support of this, the Manager of rates will be responsible for developing effective, innovative, and advanced rate designs that support this clean energy transformation, enabling the optimal integration of distributed energy resources into the grid in balance with the need to keep electric service affordable for all customers.
Other Essential Job Functions include:
- Supporting the Director of Rates in developing LIPA’s short-term and long-term rate policy and regulatory strategy, which includes recommending improvements and refinements to LIPA’s rate policies.
- Implementing LIPA’s rate policies through written rate and tariff proposals and performance metrics.
- Influencing LIPA’s external stakeholders including the Department of Public Service, other key state agencies, elected officials, and industry and environmental representatives by understanding their interests and favorably influencing their acceptance of LIPA’s rate policies.
- Monitoring trends in Federal and State policies, regulation and legislation and discussing their implications for LIPA’s rate policies, capital spending plans and utility operations with the executive leadership.
- Maintaining relationships with peers and industry associations to understand common themes and trends in rates.
- Coordinating with the Director of Budget to ensure that LIPA’s budgets include sufficient operating and capital resources to execute LIPA’s rate policies and sufficient revenues to recover LIPA’s revenue requirements.
- Promoting enhancements to IT and customer service infrastructure needed to support proposed rate policies.
- Supporting LIPA’s major rate filings, leading all rate design and rate setting activities and supporting the Director of Rates in coordination of the legal, finance, accounting, and operational teams.
Salary Range: $150,000 - $180,000
LIPA is an equal opportunity employer.